Self care – why it is especially important at this time to be mindful of yourself and take good care of yourself in the home office!
‚Self-care‘ stands for the ability to consider one’s own needs, assess stresses, not overexert oneself, handle oneself well and protect oneself. In application, self-care requires mindfulness of one’s own needs and sources of strength, and involves both physical care and health-promoting mental techniques and emotion regulation, i.e. nutrition, exercise, relaxation, enjoyment, positive thinking, paying attention to one’s own limits, and stress management. So I would like to invite you here to take care of your physical, mental and emotional well-being in times of Corona crisis, when new burdens and stress factors appear, some of which we did not know before. This ranges from healthy nutrition, good daily structure and physical balance to creating (time) spaces for oneself and the care of the ’self‘.
Self and time management
1. define for yourself or in consultation with your employer or colleagues, from when to when you can be reached by phone or text messages.
2. avoid checking the news outside of these times.
3. define living or home areas where the smartphone is taboo (e.g. bedroom, when eating etc.)
4. do not retrieve messages continuously, but at certain intervals.
– unstructured daily schedule
– cluttered desk
– Unclear filing systems
– Distractions from others (partner, children, pets).
– Low self motivation
– Too little collusion
Here it is important to be mindful and reduce such performance guzzlers. Maybe step by step so that it doesn’t become too much at once? What are their plans for the next few days?
– who works where?
– who is responsible for which aspects of everyday organization and when? (shopping, cooking, childcare, etc.)
– when are working hours, when is free time?
Last but not least, I would like to advise you the following: Schedule ‚quiet hours‘ for yourself in which you tackle important, challenging or highly beneficial tasks!